Report: Vt trooper’s use of deadly force justifiedMay 22,2013The Associated Press
MONTPELIER — An investigation has concluded that a Vermont state trooper was justified in the use of deadly force when he shot a man in a Danville school bus last year.
William Mahoney of St. Johnsbury was shot by the trooper on Sept. 18 after he allegedly stole a vehicle and then hid in the bus and broadcast threats on a school radio.
Mahoney was shot by Sgt. Brian May after what police said were threatening moves toward May — he appeared to be drawing a weapon from a holster, despite repeated commands to stop.
State Attorney General William Sorrell and Caledonia County State’s Attorney Lisa Warren released a report Wednesday concluding May was legally justified in firing his gun at Mahoney.
Mahoney is facing prosecution by the Caledonia County attorney’s office.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.