Report: Vt trooper’s use of deadly force justifiedMay 22,2013The Associated Press
MONTPELIER — An investigation has concluded that a Vermont state trooper was justified in the use of deadly force when he shot a man in a Danville school bus last year.
William Mahoney of St. Johnsbury was shot by the trooper on Sept. 18 after he allegedly stole a vehicle and then hid in the bus and broadcast threats on a school radio.
Mahoney was shot by Sgt. Brian May after what police said were threatening moves toward May — he appeared to be drawing a weapon from a holster, despite repeated commands to stop.
State Attorney General William Sorrell and Caledonia County State’s Attorney Lisa Warren released a report Wednesday concluding May was legally justified in firing his gun at Mahoney.
Mahoney is facing prosecution by the Caledonia County attorney’s office.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.