Report: Vt trooper’s use of deadly force justifiedMay 22,2013The Associated Press
MONTPELIER — An investigation has concluded that a Vermont state trooper was justified in the use of deadly force when he shot a man in a Danville school bus last year.
William Mahoney of St. Johnsbury was shot by the trooper on Sept. 18 after he allegedly stole a vehicle and then hid in the bus and broadcast threats on a school radio.
Mahoney was shot by Sgt. Brian May after what police said were threatening moves toward May — he appeared to be drawing a weapon from a holster, despite repeated commands to stop.
State Attorney General William Sorrell and Caledonia County State’s Attorney Lisa Warren released a report Wednesday concluding May was legally justified in firing his gun at Mahoney.
Mahoney is facing prosecution by the Caledonia County attorney’s office.MORE IN This Just InRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads astronomic, historic and epigrammatic data... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 365 CE, eastern Mediterranean rocked by high magnitude earthquake and tsunami, in 1865, Davis 'Little Dave' Tutt meets Wild Bill Hickock in Springfield, Mo., to settle differences.