Judge won’t dismiss Grega caseJune 13,2013Judge refuses to
dismiss Grega case
BRATTLEBORO — A judge has rejected a motion to dismiss the case or reduce the charge against a man accused of killing his wife in a Vermont condominium almost two decades ago.
John Grega was convicted of killing his wife, Christine, in 1994, and then released from prison last August when newly tested DNA evidence suggested that someone else was involved in the murder.
But the state filed a new aggravated murder charge against Grega. He pleaded not guilty last month. His lawyer asked a judge to dismiss the charge, or at least reduce it because the state has not been able to identify a weapon.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported the judge ruled that the inability to “state definitively” what object was used doesn’t invalidate the charge.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1871, After long summer drought comes simultaneous devastating upper Midwest wildfires; Chicago city center in ruins; in 1967, after brief firefight, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara captured alive in Bolivian jungle camp.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City aldermen discuss future of recreation department facilities, three bears killed in interstate crash, town school principal rewards students' good reading habits, fight at city jail sends a man to hospital.