in Island Pond
How ironic that the Island Pond Raid would have taken place on June 22, 1984. Just as George Orwell had predicted in his futuristic book, “1984,” “Big Brother” was in full operation at Island Pond, Vt., that day. The “State,” as Orwell called them, raided the commune in Island Pond that day and will have its 40th anniversary next year. This so called “raid” was deemed by the court to be “grossly illegal” and after the children were ripped from their families, the judge sent them all back home that same day.
I was drafted to be there as a social worker and know the truth. Remembering this outrage and violation of human rights will help to pound home to the bureaucrats in charge of state government that stepping on innocent children and families with their jackboots is a bad idea. Stopping for a moment to think about what they are doing may keep them in a job and keep all of us free.
ShaftsburyMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.