GMP, WJJR to pack ParamountJune 18,2013Paramount hosts
Green Mountain Power and Catamount Radio’s WJJR announced Monday a goal of 20,000 items for the 2013 Pack the Paramount Food Drive set for July 12.
The two-day drive at the Rutland theater will run from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. July 12 and from 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 13. Donors are asked to bring non-perishable food items that will be donated to BROC, the Rutland Community Cupboard and the Salvation Army.
WJJR will broadcast live from the theater on both days.
Student groups, businesses, clubs, co-workers and teams from the Rutland county area are encouraged to gather food for donation and deliver them to the Paramount.
All types of nonperishable items are appreciated including peanut butter, jelly, canned tuna, pasta, soups, pasta sauce, macaroni and cheese, cereal, coffee and tea, rice, instant potatoes, rice and bottled juice. Other items like toilet paper, baby food, paper towels, hygiene products and large-size items for families are also needed.
Cash donations will be accepted.
For more information, contact Steve Costello at 793-4031.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.