Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in PeachamTHE ASSOCIATED PRESS | June 20,2013PEACHAM — Vermont State Police say a New Hampshire man showed up at his ex-wife’s home Wednesday morning, shot her husband and then himself in an apparent murder-suicide.
Authorities said Jeannie Peabody called police to report that a white van pulled up on the lawn in front of her house in Peacham around 7 a.m. Her husband, Mark Peabody, went outside to talk to the occupant, she said.
She heard gunshots and retreated to the basement, heard footsteps upstairs, and then went to a neighbor’s house to call 911, police said. She didn’t see her husband after he left the house, police said.
Police responded with a SWAT team and search helicopter. They said they found Mark Peabody, 50, dead outside his home and John Jackson, 59, of Amherst, N.H., dead inside the residence. Both had been shot.
“Mrs. Peabody was having disagreements with her ex-husband over child support payments,” Lt. Bob Cushing said.
Police had no previous reports of violence involving them, he said.
State police sent a detective to Amherst to gather information about Jackson, Cushing said. His vehicle had New Jersey plates and had been rented in St. Johnsbury, police said.
Autopsies on the bodies were planned.MORE IN Vermont NewsThe former superintendent of the Caledonia Central Supervisory Union involved in the... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.