Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in PeachamTHE ASSOCIATED PRESS | June 20,2013PEACHAM — Vermont State Police say a New Hampshire man showed up at his ex-wife’s home Wednesday morning, shot her husband and then himself in an apparent murder-suicide.
Authorities said Jeannie Peabody called police to report that a white van pulled up on the lawn in front of her house in Peacham around 7 a.m. Her husband, Mark Peabody, went outside to talk to the occupant, she said.
She heard gunshots and retreated to the basement, heard footsteps upstairs, and then went to a neighbor’s house to call 911, police said. She didn’t see her husband after he left the house, police said.
Police responded with a SWAT team and search helicopter. They said they found Mark Peabody, 50, dead outside his home and John Jackson, 59, of Amherst, N.H., dead inside the residence. Both had been shot.
“Mrs. Peabody was having disagreements with her ex-husband over child support payments,” Lt. Bob Cushing said.
Police had no previous reports of violence involving them, he said.
State police sent a detective to Amherst to gather information about Jackson, Cushing said. His vehicle had New Jersey plates and had been rented in St. Johnsbury, police said.
Autopsies on the bodies were planned.MORE IN Vermont NewsBARRE — Republican Scott Milne promised to steer the state away from Gov. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.