MONTPELIER — Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., is expressing frustration at the slow pace of debate on the comprehensive immigration reform bill now before the U.S. Senate.
Leahy, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, said more than 130 amendments have been filed to the bill. But he said that since debate began last week, the Senate has finished work on just one, with another handful set for consideration Tuesday.
Leahy blamed 15 opponents of the bill for trying to slow up the Senate process and prevent the measure from coming to a vote.
He issued a statement saying he does not believe those 15 senators should be able to prevent the 84 who want a vote on the bill to proceed.MORE IN Vermont NewsMONTPELIER — U.S. Sen. Full StoryAUGUSTA, Maine — FairPoint worker Jeff Dorn has already told his children that Christmas is going... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.