Edgar R. Shaw Jr.June 22,2013Edgar R. Shaw Jr.
ORWELL — Edgar Richard Shaw Jr. of Monaca, Pa., formerly of Orwell, Vt., and Bay Shore, N.Y., passed unexpectedly June 19, 2013, at his residence in Monaca, Pa.
He was born September 17, 1937, in Locust Valley, N.Y., son of the late Edgar and Sophie (Miceika) Shaw. Edgar proudly served his country with the U.S. Navy from 1955 to 1957. Following his honorable discharge, he returned home and became a truck driver. For most of his career, Edgar drove a gasoline truck for Island Transportation. Family and friends affectionately knew him as “Ed” or “Sonny.”
The enjoyment of deer and bear hunting in Vermont, as well as fishing, would eventually entice him to make his home in Orwell, Vt. His greatest passion was the love for his family and supporting the activities of his grandchildren.
While living in Vermont, Ed was a member of the Orwell Volunteer Fire Department. As member of St. Paul’s Catholic Church in Orwell, he became a member of the local Knights of Columbus and was a Third Degree Knight.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his wife of 35 years, Eleanor Marie Shaw, on July 30, 1996; his twin granddaughters, Rebecca and Barbara Shaw; and a sister, Isabelle Shaw.
Edgar is survived by three sons and two daughters-in-law, Edward Shaw, Long Island, N.Y., Robert and Loretta Shaw, Monaca, Pa., James and Victoria Shaw, Jacksonville, Fla.; five grandchildren, Joshua, Justin, Leah, Edward and Skyla; one brother, Richard “Butch” Shaw; three sisters, Mildred Schmid, Marie Blasizkiewicz and Barbara DelPozo.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at 11 a.m., Tuesday, June 25, 2013, at St. Paul’s Catholic Church in Orwell. The Rev. Henry Furman, pastor, will be the celebrant. Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until 10:45 a.m. in the church prior to the Mass. The graveside committal service and burial, with military honors, will follow the Mass in Mountain View Cemetery, Orwell.
Arrangements are under the direction of the Mallory Funeral Home in Fair Haven.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.