Bellows Falls voters approve reduced budgetJune 25,2013Staff Report
BELLOWS FALLS — Village voters narrowly approved a revised annual village budget Monday night during a special meeting, 52-43.
On a nine-vote margin, voters approved a $1,803,038 budget, which would require $1,697,934 to be raised by taxes. The new spending plan didn't have a ninth police officer for the Bellows Falls Village Police Department.
The Bellows Falls Village Trustees had proposed restoring the ninth officer, which was eliminated in 2009, but voters at the annual village meeting in May made clear they couldn't afford another officer.
However, voters turned down a move to level-fund the village budget, which would have cut the police department's overtime budget.
Some voters made clear Monday night they were reaching their breaking point when it came to taxes, with several people suggesting the village disband as an entity, shifting responsibility for fire protection to the town of Rockingham, leaving police coverage in limbo.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.