Hospital opts out of aid-in-dyingJune 25,2013TOWNSHEND — Vermont’s smallest hospital has become the latest one to opt out of the state’s new aid-in-dying law, but hospital officials expect to revisit the issue soon.
Grace Cottage Hospital in Townshend made the decision Friday.
The law allows doctors to prescribe lethal medication to terminally ill patients who request it. Most hospitals are expected, at least for the time being, to opt out of implementing it.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported Grace Cottage Hospital administrators expect to re-examine the matter within 90 days. For now, they’ll work out the details of accommodating terminally ill patients who request lethal doses of medication.
Vermont’s largest hospital, Fletcher Allen, also has opted out for now to give administrators a chance to “develop a thoughtful, compassionate policy that will respect our patients and providers.”MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?