Hospital opts out of aid-in-dyingJune 25,2013TOWNSHEND — Vermont’s smallest hospital has become the latest one to opt out of the state’s new aid-in-dying law, but hospital officials expect to revisit the issue soon.
Grace Cottage Hospital in Townshend made the decision Friday.
The law allows doctors to prescribe lethal medication to terminally ill patients who request it. Most hospitals are expected, at least for the time being, to opt out of implementing it.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported Grace Cottage Hospital administrators expect to re-examine the matter within 90 days. For now, they’ll work out the details of accommodating terminally ill patients who request lethal doses of medication.
Vermont’s largest hospital, Fletcher Allen, also has opted out for now to give administrators a chance to “develop a thoughtful, compassionate policy that will respect our patients and providers.”
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.