Hospital opts out of aid-in-dyingJune 25,2013TOWNSHEND — Vermont’s smallest hospital has become the latest one to opt out of the state’s new aid-in-dying law, but hospital officials expect to revisit the issue soon.
Grace Cottage Hospital in Townshend made the decision Friday.
The law allows doctors to prescribe lethal medication to terminally ill patients who request it. Most hospitals are expected, at least for the time being, to opt out of implementing it.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported Grace Cottage Hospital administrators expect to re-examine the matter within 90 days. For now, they’ll work out the details of accommodating terminally ill patients who request lethal doses of medication.
Vermont’s largest hospital, Fletcher Allen, also has opted out for now to give administrators a chance to “develop a thoughtful, compassionate policy that will respect our patients and providers.”MORE IN This Just InTOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town. 0Rutland Herald News Editor Alan Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss some of the... Full StoryThe Associated Press Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.