Three days after trial, man faces new felony chargeJune 27,2013By Patrick McArdle
BENNINGTON — A Pleasant Street man who was found guilty earlier this month of recklessly shooting a deer from the road in November was recently arraigned on a new charge after police said he kissed a 14-year-old girl.
Joshua P. Hayes, 21, of Bennington, pleaded innocent last week in Bennington criminal court to a felony count of lewd and lascivious conduct with a child.
In an affidavit, Sgt. Michael Plusch of the Bennington Police Department said he met with a woman on June 18 who had come to the police station to report that her 14-year-old daughter was in an inappropriate relationship with an older man.
Plusch said he and Wendy Nolan, an investigator with the Vermont Department of Children and Families, met with the girl at the Bennington County Child Advocacy Center on June 19.
During the interview, the girl said she and Hayes had “developed this relationship” over the previous four weeks, primarily through text messages. She said she had told him she was 14 and he had told her that he knew he could “get in trouble” because of their relationship.
Plusch said the girl told investigators that Hayes had sent her a text message on June 16 asking her to come to his apartment. At the apartment, Hayes kissed her and bit her neck, she told police. She said the contact was consensual, according to the affidavit.
While she told police that Hayes had been drinking beer, she said she had not had any alcohol.
For the complete story, see Friday's Rutland Herald.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1843, British Naval officer GEORGE LORD PAULET obtains provisional cession of Hawaiian Islands; 1866, miners claim Calaveras skull found found in goldmine is remains of 5 million-year-old Pliocene man.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown