City police warn of possible scamJuly 05,2013City police warn of possible scam
Rutland City Police are asking residents to report any unsolicited offers to perform driveway repairs.
On two occasions during the past week, two unidentified men have approached homeowners with offers to perform cheap repair to their driveways, police Sgt. Kevin Stevens said.
“One lady said they offered to seal her driveway at $5 per square foot,” Stevens said. “But after they did the little bit of work she needed done they said she owed them $1,800.”
Stevens said he didn’t know the men’s names or if they were using a company name. However, he said the truck they were driving bore out-of-state license plates. He also said it wasn’t clear whether a crime had taken place since the residents hadn’t paid for the repairs. But he said the incidents were suspicious and he asked anyone who has encountered the two men to contact city police at 773-1816.
“Unless you’re calling for a service be very cautious and get a written quote,” he said.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.