City police warn of possible scamJuly 05,2013City police warn of possible scam
Rutland City Police are asking residents to report any unsolicited offers to perform driveway repairs.
On two occasions during the past week, two unidentified men have approached homeowners with offers to perform cheap repair to their driveways, police Sgt. Kevin Stevens said.
“One lady said they offered to seal her driveway at $5 per square foot,” Stevens said. “But after they did the little bit of work she needed done they said she owed them $1,800.”
Stevens said he didn’t know the men’s names or if they were using a company name. However, he said the truck they were driving bore out-of-state license plates. He also said it wasn’t clear whether a crime had taken place since the residents hadn’t paid for the repairs. But he said the incidents were suspicious and he asked anyone who has encountered the two men to contact city police at 773-1816.
“Unless you’re calling for a service be very cautious and get a written quote,” he said.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1520, Ferdinand Magellan is first European to navigate passage that bears his name from the Atlantic to the Pacific sea; in 1582, Will Shakespeare, Anne Hathaway secure their marriage license with 40 pound bond.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.