City police warn of possible scamJuly 05,2013City police warn of possible scam
Rutland City Police are asking residents to report any unsolicited offers to perform driveway repairs.
On two occasions during the past week, two unidentified men have approached homeowners with offers to perform cheap repair to their driveways, police Sgt. Kevin Stevens said.
“One lady said they offered to seal her driveway at $5 per square foot,” Stevens said. “But after they did the little bit of work she needed done they said she owed them $1,800.”
Stevens said he didn’t know the men’s names or if they were using a company name. However, he said the truck they were driving bore out-of-state license plates. He also said it wasn’t clear whether a crime had taken place since the residents hadn’t paid for the repairs. But he said the incidents were suspicious and he asked anyone who has encountered the two men to contact city police at 773-1816.
“Unless you’re calling for a service be very cautious and get a written quote,” he said.MORE IN This Just InMONTPELIER – The United States Department of Agriculture announced today that schools in... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.