A-Rod goes 1 for 2 in rehab game for Class A TampaThe Associated Press | July 07,2013VIERA, Fla. — Alex Rodriguez felt some improvement in his latest rehab game on Saturday night.
Rodriguez went 1 for 2 with a run scored playing with the New York Yankees’ Class A Tampa affiliate against the Brevard County Manatees.
Rodriguez played five innings. It was his first hit during his comeback after going 0 for 4 in his first two starts at Class A Charleston.
“I could see the ball better,” Rodriguez said. “I thought I had better balance on the off-speed pitches.”
Rodriguez, batting second and playing third base, heard scattered boos as he walked to the plate in the first inning. After taking the first two pitches for balls, he grounded out to shortstop.
In the third, he hit a one-out single to center that loaded the bases, but was erased on a double play by designated hitter Peter O’Brien.
In the fifth, Rodriguez was hit by Manatees pitcher Cody Scarpetta near the left hip he had surgery on in January. He remained in the game and scored from first on O’Brien’s two-out single.
Rodriguez said he was happy that he scored from first and also for the work he got defensively at third base. He jumped to snag a first-inning line drive and handled two ground outs in the fifth.
“I’m sure my defense is going to be several weeks behind the offense,” Rodriguez said. “With my type of surgery, lateral movement will be a challenge. Defensively, you have a lot more to do.”
He spent part of the sixth signing autographs along the left field line before returning to the Yankees clubhouse for a workout.
Rodriguez is expected to play against the Milwaukee Brewers’ Florida State League affiliate Sunday.
“Everything at this point is really not much,” Rodriguez said. “It’s going to take time. You’re going to have to wait 10 games and then take it from there.”MORE IN Wire SportsDORAL, Fla. — The year isn’t all that’s new for Adam Scott. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- talk-pix.com PODCASTS TEMPORARILY DISABLED: Navigate browser to talk-pix.com to access complete ALMANACK archive.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day 1739, 'Richard Palmer' identified in prison at York Castle as the notorious outlaw DICK TURPIN; IN 1836, Battle of the Alamo begins near San Antonio de Bexar, Texas; 1896, the Tootsie Roll invented by LEO HIRSCHFELD.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1472, Orkney, Shetland islands put up as collateral by Norway to Scotland in lieu of dowry for MARGARET OF DENMARK on her marriage with JAMES III, king of Scotland; 1962, JOHN GLENN first American to orbit Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City mayoral candidates debate campaign issues; Hartford, Conn., woman still missing; Neal Goswami reports attempts to legislate suicide; local woman loses 100 pounds through TOPS program.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1878, JOHN TUNSTALL murdered near Lincoln, New Mexico, by the outlaw JESSE EVANS; in 1930, ELM FARM OLLIE first cow to fly in aircraft, first to be milked airborne; 1955, nuke test WASP; '79, snow in Sahara.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Herald News Editor Alan J. Keays and staff writer Gordon Dritschilo discuss stories planned for the February 18, 2015, edition of the newspaper: Winter budgets maxed, legal marijuana, Springfield bank job, USPS slowdown