DERBY — Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin says the expansion of a bicycle apparel company in Derby shows how the state is adding jobs in the Northeast Kingdom, traditionally the state’s most economically challenged region.
Shumlin made the comments Monday at the groundbreaking in Derby for an $8 million expansion by the company Louis Garneau.
Currently the company employs about 90 people in Newport.
Once the expansion is complete in 2014 the company is expected to add another 10 employees to start and at least 10 more in the future.
Shumlin said Louis Garneau, who is Canadian, was on a cycling team in Stowe years ago and he and his wife started a small cycling clothing manufacturing business in their garage.
They later expanded in Newport and now they’re expanding again.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.