DERBY — Vermont Gov. Peter Shumlin says the expansion of a bicycle apparel company in Derby shows how the state is adding jobs in the Northeast Kingdom, traditionally the state’s most economically challenged region.
Shumlin made the comments Monday at the groundbreaking in Derby for an $8 million expansion by the company Louis Garneau.
Currently the company employs about 90 people in Newport.
Once the expansion is complete in 2014 the company is expected to add another 10 employees to start and at least 10 more in the future.
Shumlin said Louis Garneau, who is Canadian, was on a cycling team in Stowe years ago and he and his wife started a small cycling clothing manufacturing business in their garage.
They later expanded in Newport and now they’re expanding again.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Scott Milne opens campaign for governor's office, crime statistics fall in city, new home for homeless prevention center, traffic cameras are not watching you, capital panel hears testimony about protecting children.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.