Kaman headed back to LA, this time with LakersThe Associated Press | July 09,2013LOS ANGELES — Chris Kaman is headed back to Los Angeles, this time with the Lakers.
The 7-foot free agent center who spent the first eight years of his career with the Clippers said Monday on Twitter that he had agreed to join the Lakers. The deal is reportedly for one year at $3.2 million.
“I am going to be going back to LA and it’s to play for the Lakers!” Kaman wrote. “I am excited about this move and can’t wait to play!”
Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak later issued a statement through the team saying Los Angeles has been negotiating with Kaman and intends to sign him.
It will be Kaman’s second straight season on a one-year contract. He had an $8 million deal to be the starter in Dallas last season but spent more than half of every game on coach Rick Carlisle’s bench. He spent the previous season with New Orleans after he was part of the trade that sent Chris Paul to the Clippers.
The Lakers grabbed Kaman after Dwight Howard chose not to return and agreed to a deal with the Rockets.
The 31-year-old Kaman started 52 of his 66 games with the Mavericks, but averaged the fewest minutes of his career because he struggled on the defensive end in Carlisle’s system. He scored 10.5 points per game but tied a career low from his rookie season at 5.6 rebounds and had his lowest average in blocks at 0.8.
Kaman was an All-Star with the Clippers in 2009-10, when he averaged a career-high 18.5 points. He has career averages of 11.8 points, 8.0 rebounds and 1.4 blocks.MORE IN Wire SportsTORONTO — Armed with his best curveball of the season, Toronto Blue Jays left-hander J.A. Full StoryATLANTA — Jacob Turner allowed two runs in his bid for a permanent return to Miami’s rotation and... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?