Police: Motorist tried to run down manStaff Report | July 09,2013Rutland City Police say a man in a pickup drove out of the downtown parking lot known as "The Pit" over the grass and sidewalk in an attempt to run down another man.
James Cabral was arrested Monday on charges of aggravated assault with a motor vehicle, unlawful mischief and careless and negligent operation of a motor vehicle, according to police.
Police said Cabral had some sort of argument with Steven Burke at Pub 42 prior to the incident, which took place at 2:25 a.m. Sunday, and was in pursuit of Burke when he drove onto the sidewalk, destroying a tree and hitting a Zero-Sort recycling container before fleeing the scene.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.