Man admits to trespassing on school groundsJuly 09,2013BENNINGTON — A Benmont Avenue man will spend a year on probation after admitting Monday to being at the Southwest Vermont Career Development Center on May 8 in violation of a “no trespass” order.
Brandon T. Billings, 21, pleaded guilty on Monday in Bennington criminal court to a misdemeanor charge of unlawful trespass. Billings was sentenced by Judge Cortland Corsones to serve 45 to 60 days in jail, but all of that time was suspended.
In an affidavit, Deputy Roscoe Harrington of the Bennington County Sheriff’s Department said he was notified that Billings was at the career development center, which shares a campus with Mount Anthony Union High School, by the high school’s head of security.
Harrington said several students had reported that Billings was sitting on the steps outside the career development center.
Billings had been served with a court order on June 14, 2011, that said he was not to be at the career development center or the high school.
Harrington said when he checked the steps, Billings was not there but video surveillance footage showed Billings had been on school grounds.
According to an affidavit, Billings admitted on May 16 that he had been at the school but said he thought the court order had expired.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.