• Vt. home where deck collapsed now damaged by fire
    By Eric Francis
    Correspondent | July 11,2013
    • Email Article
    •  Print Article
    SHARON - The same residence where a dozen family members and partygoers were injured on the Fourth of July when a porch deck suddenly collapsed was heavily damaged by a fire Wednesday morning.

    “I can’t believe it. I feel so sorry for those people,” Sharon Fire Captain Nathan Potter said afterwards, noting, “Those poor folks have gone through so much this week.”

    Potter said when dispatchers alerted Sharon’s volunteer firefighters at 9 a.m. he instantly recognized the address opposite the Sharon industrial park on River Road as the same residence where numerous rescue personnel and ambulances had converged last Thursday evening for the mass casualty call.

    Wednesday’s fire at the Richard and Michelle Wilson residence began in the hose running from the back of the dryer in a second floor laundry room but quickly

    “We had a good response and we were able to knock it down to just a hallway and a bedroom,” Potter said but he smoke damage throughout the house, which sits near the bank of the White River, was still extensive.

    “They had a bedroom door open on one end of it and a window open so the smoke was drawn right down through there just like chimney, Potter said, adding, “I’m guessing they are going to be out of the house for a while because the whole house smells of smoke bad and the upstairs is nothing but black.”
    • Email Article
    •  Print Article
    MORE IN This Just In
    Good morning - you may have noticed an update to the ePaper for the Rutland Herald. Full Story
    Police investigate

    couple shot dead

    NEWBURY Police in Newbury investigating a... Full Story
    ANDOVER A Bellows Falls woman is expected to be arraigned next month after police accused her... Full Story
    More Articles