Pittsford murder suspect attempts suicide in jailStaff Report | July 19,2013A Pittsford man awaiting trial in jail on a charge of murdering his girlfriend tried to hang himself in his jail cell, according to a Vermont Department of Corrections official.
Christopher Sharrow, 35, was taken to a Boston hospital after an unsuccessful suicide attempt, according to Al Cormier, superintendent of the St. Johnsbury jail where Sharrow has been incarcerated since his arraignment on July 8.
Cormier said he didn't know which hospital Sharrow was taken to, but he believed he was in stable condition.
Sharrow pleaded innocent to a second-degree murder charge brought by prosecutors who say he beat and strangled Kristen Parker, 32, who he lived with along with her three children. Sharrow is the father of two of Parker's children.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.