Pittsford murder suspect attempts suicide in jailStaff Report | July 19,2013A Pittsford man awaiting trial in jail on a charge of murdering his girlfriend tried to hang himself in his jail cell, according to a Vermont Department of Corrections official.
Christopher Sharrow, 35, was taken to a Boston hospital after an unsuccessful suicide attempt, according to Al Cormier, superintendent of the St. Johnsbury jail where Sharrow has been incarcerated since his arraignment on July 8.
Cormier said he didn't know which hospital Sharrow was taken to, but he believed he was in stable condition.
Sharrow pleaded innocent to a second-degree murder charge brought by prosecutors who say he beat and strangled Kristen Parker, 32, who he lived with along with her three children. Sharrow is the father of two of Parker's children.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Highway Trust Fund bill passage Vt. projects are moving forward, about 20 state inmates are seeking clemency through new federal standards and search is on to find temporary member for State Colleges Board of Trustees.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.