Pittsford murder suspect attempts suicide in jailStaff Report | July 19,2013A Pittsford man awaiting trial in jail on a charge of murdering his girlfriend tried to hang himself in his jail cell, according to a Vermont Department of Corrections official.
Christopher Sharrow, 35, was taken to a Boston hospital after an unsuccessful suicide attempt, according to Al Cormier, superintendent of the St. Johnsbury jail where Sharrow has been incarcerated since his arraignment on July 8.
Cormier said he didn't know which hospital Sharrow was taken to, but he believed he was in stable condition.
Sharrow pleaded innocent to a second-degree murder charge brought by prosecutors who say he beat and strangled Kristen Parker, 32, who he lived with along with her three children. Sharrow is the father of two of Parker's children.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.