charged with DUI
SHELDON — Burlington’s deputy police chief is facing a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol.
Vermont State Police said troopers pulled over a motorist on Route 105 in Sheldon for failure to use a turn signal shortly after midnight Sunday.
The operator, 44-year-old Andi Higbee of Colchester, was arrested for drunken driving and later released on a citation. He was off duty at the time.
Burlington Police Chief Mike Schirling said in a statement that Higbee has been placed on paid administrative leave. Higbee has a court date scheduled for Aug. 12.
The Burlington Free Press said Higbee pleaded guilty in 1999 to driving under the influence while he was a sergeant with the Burlington Police Department. He was demoted to corporal for four months.MORE IN Vermont NewsThe Senate on Tuesday advanced a GMO labeling bill that sets Vermont on a course to be the first... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.