charged with DUI
SHELDON — Burlington’s deputy police chief is facing a charge of driving under the influence of alcohol.
Vermont State Police said troopers pulled over a motorist on Route 105 in Sheldon for failure to use a turn signal shortly after midnight Sunday.
The operator, 44-year-old Andi Higbee of Colchester, was arrested for drunken driving and later released on a citation. He was off duty at the time.
Burlington Police Chief Mike Schirling said in a statement that Higbee has been placed on paid administrative leave. Higbee has a court date scheduled for Aug. 12.
The Burlington Free Press said Higbee pleaded guilty in 1999 to driving under the influence while he was a sergeant with the Burlington Police Department. He was demoted to corporal for four months.MORE IN Vermont News
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.