Motorcycle chase leads to arrestJuly 22,2013Motorcycle chase leads to arrest
WHITE RIVER JUNCTION — A motorcyclist who led police on a pursuit through downtown White River Junction on Saturday afternoon was arrested after he turned onto a dead-end street behind St. Anthony’s Catholic church, police said.
Evan Marsh, whose age and hometown were not immediately available, ended up dumping his motorcycle on the lawn of house right at the end of Maplewood Terrace and surrendering without incident, police said.
Hartford Police Officer Eric Clifford first tried to pull Marsh over for a minor traffic infraction at the top of Schoolhouse Hill on Route 5 near Hartford High School.
But he said Marsh led him on a chase that saw Marsh jump over the median in the middle of Urban Bridge, which spans the White River, in an effort to lose the pursuing cruiser.
As a number of other Hartford officers began converging on the area, Clifford said, Marsh wound his way through the downtown with residents and bystanders on sidewalks pointing out to police which way the motorcycle had gone.
Marsh was arrested and processed for attempting to elude police.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Nelson Mandela on the primacy of teaching love over hate.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Yankee announces final day of nuclear power generation in Vermont, storm brings floods back to Chester, Castleton town manager to resign office, chronic offender sentenced to 25 years for sexual assault.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Archaeologists find a leather shoe in a cave in Armenia that predates the Pyramids by more than a thousand years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.