Fire captain found guilty of conspiring to set firesJuly 24,2013By Brent Curtis
A federal jury in Rutland delivered a guilty verdict today in a case against a former Wallingford Fire Department Captain.
Following a two-day trial, jurors deliberated for less than two hours before finding George Allen guilty of conspiring to set fires on federal public lands - a charge that carries a potential five-year prison term.
The jury found Allen guilty of directing younger members of the department to set wildfires around Wallingford in 2008 - including fires set on the Long Trail and Appalachian Trail parking lot and the White Rocks trail head which are all part of the Green Mountain National Forest.
No date has been set to sentence Allen.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1618, English author, poet, soldier, adventurer Sir Walter Raleigh is beheaded for conspiring to overthrow King James I, but more likely to mollify offenses to Spain. His executioner has to implore him for silence.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1492, Italian explorer, admiral of the ocean sea, Christopher Columbus, sailing for the Spanish crown, 'discovers' Cuba; on this day in 1964, U.S. officials deny American involvement in bombing North Vietnam.
- Video: Fire engulfs house on Pine Street
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1936, Mrs. Wallis Warfield Spencer Simpson, mistress of King Edward VIII, is granted her second divorce, enabling her to marry the king. The government, the Church of England and the London Times have another idea.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: V-2 No. 13, launched this day in 1946 from White Sands, New Mexico, takes first photographs of Earth from the edge of the planet's outer atmosphere; 1947: Walt Disney testifies before HUAC, names employees he says are communists.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont's brand discussed at Killington, state's attorney candidates Marc Brierre and Rose Kennedy profiled, Curtis reports about Rutland police chief's new job, and four arrested, charged for heroin, crack sales.