Fire captain found guilty of conspiring to set firesJuly 24,2013By Brent Curtis
A federal jury in Rutland delivered a guilty verdict today in a case against a former Wallingford Fire Department Captain.
Following a two-day trial, jurors deliberated for less than two hours before finding George Allen guilty of conspiring to set fires on federal public lands - a charge that carries a potential five-year prison term.
The jury found Allen guilty of directing younger members of the department to set wildfires around Wallingford in 2008 - including fires set on the Long Trail and Appalachian Trail parking lot and the White Rocks trail head which are all part of the Green Mountain National Forest.
No date has been set to sentence Allen.MORE IN This Just InSunday evening, Grace Church initially felt and looked like a festive community celebration with... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- VIDEO: The play that's under appeal from the DIII state football championships
- VIDEO: Downhill excitement at Silverheels Cup at Okemo
- VIDEO: Woodstock takes on U-32 football
- VIDEO: 2013 Vermont Amateur Golf Tournament
- VIDEO: Police investigate Pittsford homicide
- VIDEO: Rutland High School Graduation