Man charged with baseball bat assaultJuly 24,2013Charge is denied
in assault with bat
A man who allegedly struck another man multiple times with an aluminum baseball bat during a fight Monday in Poultney denied a felony charge in Rutland criminal court Tuesday.
Timothy S. Petty, 46, of Poultney pleaded innocent to aggravated assault, which carries a potential 15-year jail sentence.
Judge Theresa DiMauro released Petty on a $5,000 unsecured bond and on court-ordered conditions that he stay away from Eugene Webster, the man he allegedly hit with the bat.
Vermont State Police said they arrested Petty after a fight in front of his home on Maple Street in Poultney at around 6:15 p.m. Monday. Police said Petty used the bat to hit Webster in the leg, arm and head.MORE IN This Just InRICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 410 CE, Visigoths sack Rome and it isn't the first time, either; in 1859, Titusville, Pa., the first commercially viable oil well comes in; in 1918, the only World War I battle fought on U.S. soil in Nogales, Ariz. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott uploads data direct to your head: On this day in 410... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.