Man gets 30 days in jail for kicking 3-year-oldJuly 25,2013Staff Report
BENNINGTON — A local man will serve 30 days in jail after being convicted of picking up a 3-year-old child by his arm and kicking him in the leg with a steel-toed boot.
Darryl K. Whitney, 42, was convicted Tuesday after a jury trial in Bennington criminal court on a misdemeanor charge of simple assault. Whitney was sentenced to serve nine to 12 months but all of the time was suspended except for 30 days.
Whitney was also ordered to participate in parenting and anger management classes if required by his probation officer.
Police said they were called to a Main Street home in Bennington on June 19, 2012. A woman there said Whitney had picked up and kicked the 3-year-old boy.
The woman was related to the boy’s mother who had a relationship with Whitney.
According to the woman, Whitney assaulted the child because they child had been playing and kicked him.
Whitney was previously convicted of simple assault in 1992 and 1997, according to police.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Gen. Wm. T. Sherman concludes March to the Sea, secures Savannah, Ga., offers the city as Christmas gift to Pres. Lincoln; N.Y.'s Lincoln Tunnel opens in 1937; first gorilla born in captivity, Colo, celebrates 58th birthday today.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont Gas Systems puts Phase 2 on hold as the latest estimate for Phase 1 takes a 27 percent leap upward, to a total of $157 million; U.S. Attorney Tristram Coffin quits for job with private firm; police cite man in pot bust.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Christmas bombing of North Vietnam ordered by President Richard Nixon, most lethal strikes of the war; in 1989, U.S. invades Panama to depose, arrest and charge Gen. Manuel Noriega with drug trafficking, racketeering.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Gov. Peter Shumlin announces demise of his single-payer health insurance initiative; convicted first-degree murderer Alan Prue sentenced to 50 years for killing teacher Melissa Jenkins; veterans chafed about park naming snub.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 497 BC, first Saturnalia festival celebrated in Rome, Scandinavians retain 'Yule Goat' as symbol of season, Krampus, evil side of holiday cheer, terrorizes children into better behavior, more advice from Christopher Hitchens.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 533 AD, Byzantine Emperor Justinian I gets the old empire back together again routing the Vandals from Carthage; in 1890, Lakota Chief Sitting Bull is killed at his home in South Dakota; in 1970, Soviets land probe on Venus.