Last month, as part of my annual physical, I had to undergo several tests. Luckily, they came out OK. Later, I got a statement showing lab costs, which were high but, thanks to my insurance company, I had to pay only a comparatively minor amount. Thank God for health insurance. However, there has been a push recently to stave off the beginning of Obamacare, and not to provide health insurance to people lacking it. This is, in a word, irresponsible. Obamacare provides health coverage to millions, and now they have to wait at least another year to get it. What will these people do if they encounter major medical concerns? Why don’t they deserve health insurance? Are we not in this world together to help and support each other? The new pope, Francis I, has been cited by the media as the Pope for Social Justice. Does not social justice mean that we are bound to assist our neighbors in need? In the end, we will all be called to answer for what we have done in this life, and that includes how we administered social justice to our neighbor; or how we didn’t. I trust we will all be in the first category. It seems to me that Obamacare should be implemented as soon as possible so that everyone, in the concept of true social justice, has health insurance and no one lacks the ability to get good and reasonable costing health care.
PittsfordMORE IN Letters
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1778, Capt. James Cook is first European to set eyes on Maui in Hawaiian Islands; 1922, Pharoah Tutankhamun found after 3000 years; 1909, Hollawood movie star Frances Dee born in Los Angeles.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Hazmat unit called downtown, Boys & Girls Club hosts dinner for members and families, Secret Santa back on the beat, city discusses runoff problem on Mayfield Road, Brandon gets creative about fixes to town roads, sidewalks.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.