TORONTO — Toronto’s police chief said Monday multiple investigations are looking into the circumstances surrounding the police shooting of an armed man in an empty streetcar that was caught on video.
The shooting, posted on YouTube, has sparked outrage in Canada’s largest city, with some calling it unnecessary police force.
Video shows Sammy Yatim, 18, holding a knife inside the streetcar with police outside. Yatim goads police while officers yell: “Drop your knife!” Shortly after, three shots are fired. After a pause, six more shots are fired. A Taser is also later used on Yatim.
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the early Saturday morning shooting. The SIU says Yatim died from multiple gunshot wounds.
Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said he’s seen the video and is conducting a parallel investigation. He said he understands the public’s concern.
“I have viewed the video. I recognize there is a need for answers,” Blair said.
Mark Mendelson, a former Toronto police detective, said investigators have the benefit of the video which “doesn’t lie.”
“If you look at it on its face value at this point, it’s not hard to come to the conclusion that excessive force was used,” Mendelson said.
Mendelson also noted there are numerous civilian witnesses and at least two video angles of the shooting including security camera footage.
A march has been organized for Monday evening that calls for justice for Yatim and an end to police violence.MORE IN Wire NewsSTOCKHOLM — Sweden’s biggest submarine hunt since the dying days of the Soviet Union has put... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Acclaimed illusionist & escape artist Harry Houdini, performing in Montreal in 1926, is sucker-punched by a McGill University student. Houdini doesn't know he has peritonitis - the punches are possible factor in his Oct. 31 death.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Police Chief James Baker to resign from the force at the end of the year to take a job in Washington, D.C., jury remains out in teacher killing murder trial, Rec Dept. releases report on what's wrong with White's Pool.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.