Dangerous new drug in Rutland City, police warnAugust 01,2013Staff Report
Rutland Police say there is a new and dangerous combination of drugs in the city - a pill capsule mixture of methamphetamine, ecstasy, heroin and perhaps crack cocaine as well.
Less than a week after police seized 18 pills filled with that mixture during a traffic stop in Rutland, a rapid-fire number of drug overdoses Wednesday have city police worrying that drug cocktail is gaining a foothold in the community and that more overdoses might follow.
None of the six overdoses reported Wednesday proved fatal but city police Detective Sgt. James Tarbell said it was only a matter of time until the combination killed someone.
"When you introduce a depressant and a stimulant into you body at the same time, your body isn't built for that," Tarbell said.
"It's gonna be a mess."
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Well diggers in Cardiff, New York, find what is thought to be the petrified body of a 10-foot-tall man, perfectly preserved after thousands of years, which becomes a popular roadside attraction until proven to be a fake.
- Pittsford Haunted House
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1720, 'Calico Jack' Rackham, Caribbean pirate and early feminist, known for recruiting women to his crew and for fabric decorating skills after creating 'Jolly Roger' flag, is captured by the British Royal Navy.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Vermont has a new state Supreme Court Justice; city hospital says it can save plenty by upgrading its lights and trucking in natural gas; Springfield has a new town manager, former West Rutland guy, Tom Yennerall.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1307, King Phillip the Fair of France orders hundreds of Knights Templar rounded up and arrested, charged with heresy, tortured until they confess; on this day in 1917, thousands see miracle of Our Lady of Fatima.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Solarfest likely to be on hold until at least 2016, Great Dane involved in theft of an $89,000 shotgun leads police to the thieves, PSB will not reopen VGS pipeline case, prosecutors want evidence in body-packing drug case.