Dangerous new drug in Rutland City, police warnAugust 01,2013Staff Report
Rutland Police say there is a new and dangerous combination of drugs in the city - a pill capsule mixture of methamphetamine, ecstasy, heroin and perhaps crack cocaine as well.
Less than a week after police seized 18 pills filled with that mixture during a traffic stop in Rutland, a rapid-fire number of drug overdoses Wednesday have city police worrying that drug cocktail is gaining a foothold in the community and that more overdoses might follow.
None of the six overdoses reported Wednesday proved fatal but city police Detective Sgt. James Tarbell said it was only a matter of time until the combination killed someone.
"When you introduce a depressant and a stimulant into you body at the same time, your body isn't built for that," Tarbell said.
"It's gonna be a mess."MORE IN This Just InPITTSFORD – The Select Board meets tonight at 6:30 to hear a presentation by Green Lantern... Full StoryTODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute. 0Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.