Dangerous new drug in Rutland City, police warnAugust 01,2013Staff Report
Rutland Police say there is a new and dangerous combination of drugs in the city - a pill capsule mixture of methamphetamine, ecstasy, heroin and perhaps crack cocaine as well.
Less than a week after police seized 18 pills filled with that mixture during a traffic stop in Rutland, a rapid-fire number of drug overdoses Wednesday have city police worrying that drug cocktail is gaining a foothold in the community and that more overdoses might follow.
None of the six overdoses reported Wednesday proved fatal but city police Detective Sgt. James Tarbell said it was only a matter of time until the combination killed someone.
"When you introduce a depressant and a stimulant into you body at the same time, your body isn't built for that," Tarbell said.
"It's gonna be a mess."MORE IN This Just InTOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes for fiction and biography. 0Rutland Herald News Editor Alan Keays and staff writer Brent Curtis discuss some of the stories... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.