Trash incinerator serving southern Vermont to closeAugust 01,2013Staff Report
CLAREMONT, N.H. - The owners of the Wheelabrator trash incinerator announced it is closing in September, ending 26 years of often controversial operation.
The closing of the facility will not have an impact on the trash disposal in area towns in Vermont, said Tom Kennedy, executive director of the Southern Windsor Regional Planning Commission, who also serves as the head of the Southern Windsor/Windham Solid Waste Management District.
Kennedy said that Casella Waste, which contracts with the district for the Vermont towns' waste, had assured him there would be no changes, and that there was adequate capacity for independent trash haulers at Casella's transfer station in Newport, N.H. Trash will then be trucked to Casella's landfill in Coventry, Vt.
Wheelabrator officials said the closing was not due to a pending appeal of its N.H. air pollution permit, but was strictly economical, Kennedy said.
For the complete story, see Friday's Rutland Herald.MORE IN This Just InA stepfather accused of killing his 2-year-old daughter was released from jail Friday night after... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY:
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Update on Center Alley project, review of opiate talk evening at the library and aldermen want kids to wear helmets while riding bikes around town.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.