GMP expanding heat pump leasesAugust 06,2013Staff Report
Green Mountain Power announced Tuesday it would expand its pilot program to lease heating equipment from 200 customers to 500.
The utility said the move was prompted by “extraordinary customer response.”
GMP will offer leases of air-source heat pumps, which use technology similar to that of air conditioners to heat houses using warmth drawn from outdoors, even on cold days. The pumps are supposed to function down to temperatures of 13 degrees below zero, and are purported to cut fuel bills by as much as 95 percent.
GMP employees began responding to calls from interested customers today, and the follow-up calls are expected to be spread over the coming weeks.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Flood watch in effect for Rutland County, developing El Nino shaping up to be extreme this year, Don DeLillo on the season's warming trend and Veena catches digital sniffles, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Dramatic river rescue in Southern Vermont, Castleton moving ahead on sale of old town office building, Passover celebrated in Woodstock.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Woodstock Ave. lane reconfiguration trial will go forward despite resistance, Rutland city engineer decamps for greener pastures in flatlands, technology changes the way many people file tax returns.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Gulf wildlife still dying from 2010 BP oil spill, Veena in Cabo San Lucas, Gertrude Stein on family living, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Police officer identified in deadly Brattleboro shooting, school consolidation boosters silent on savings, lawmakers nix legal marijuana for PTSD and scrap yard helps solve half-ton heist.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Coyotes are true American survivors, Veena on Narragansett Pier, Vladimir Nabokov in Paris.