GMP expanding heat pump leasesAugust 06,2013Staff Report
Green Mountain Power announced Tuesday it would expand its pilot program to lease heating equipment from 200 customers to 500.
The utility said the move was prompted by “extraordinary customer response.”
GMP will offer leases of air-source heat pumps, which use technology similar to that of air conditioners to heat houses using warmth drawn from outdoors, even on cold days. The pumps are supposed to function down to temperatures of 13 degrees below zero, and are purported to cut fuel bills by as much as 95 percent.
GMP employees began responding to calls from interested customers today, and the follow-up calls are expected to be spread over the coming weeks.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE:Chemicals used in hydraulic fracturing that pollute ground water and the air we breathe come under scrutiny by researchers who find at least eight fracking chemicals toxic to mammals.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: The craze for Omega-3 fatty acids as a dietary supplement in its most popular form, fish oil, has led to depletion of fish stocks in oceans throughout the world. Is this the beginning of the total collapse of global fisheries?
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Suspects arrested in Killington bear death, Bryanna Allen and Kevin O'Connor report along the Back to School front, Rutland Plywood site remains an active fire scene as debris continues to smolder.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Forests around Chernobyl, even though dead from massive irradiation after nuclear accident 30 years ago, still have not even begun to decompose, natural balance disrupted at microbial level.
- Dogs have their day at White's Pool
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1609, Galileo demonstrates his telescope to Venetian lawmakers; during the same year, the Spanish Inquisition begins Basque witch trials, Henry Hudson sets sail from Amsterdam to North America, Shakespeare's sonnets published.