Military families invited to poolAugust 06,2013Military families invited to pool
Area military families are invited to a meet-and-greet pool party, from 6 to 8 p.m. Aug. 23 at White Pool in Rutland.
The event — hosted by the Rutland Regional Team of Operation: Military Kids, a University of Vermont Extension 4-H program — will include swimming, games, dinner and a back-to-school-themed raffle.
All military kids who sign up by Aug. 20 will receive a “Hero Pack”, designed to help them stay connected with their parent during the current reintegration period. The backpacks are filled by nonmilitary youth and community groups with items such as a disposable camera, photo album and a written note of appreciation.
To RSVP for this event, call Heather Fredritz at 345-8190. Anyone needing a disability-related accommodation to participate can call Stephanie Atwood at 656-0346 by Monday. For more information, visit www.facebook.com/OMKVermont.MORE IN This Just InWASHINGTON — Congress ran full-tilt into election-year gridlock over immigration Thursday and... Full StoryREADSBORO — A longtime feud between neighbors may have led to an incident last month during which... Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: A fiery pit nicknamed the 'Gate of Hell' in the Karakum desert in Turkmenistan has been burning for 40 years.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Workers on this day in 1984 in a Cheshire, England, peat bog find well-preserved human remains at least 2,000 years dead, born this day in 1843, Robert Todd Lincoln, eldest son of the president, present at three assassinations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: osh O'Gorman reports on the impact of state budget cuts on state colleges, Rutland Town welcomes Donna Zeller as town clerk, Bryanna Allen in Killington for chili cookoff and Haley talks up the big Shrine game with N.H. and Vt.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Teddy Roosevelt makes Americans believe the poor, peace-loving, misunderstood piranha is a vicious, dangerous animal.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Teamsters leader Jimmy Hoffa disappears on this day in 1975, on this day in 2003, the last Volkswagen Type I, the Beetle, rolls off the assembly line in Mexico, Ambrose Bierce on the classifications of homicide.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Seals have figured out fish they like to eat gather in schools around turbines in offshore wind farms. But the environment is not without hazards, maintenance vessels and noise pollution.