Military families invited to poolAugust 06,2013Military families invited to pool
Area military families are invited to a meet-and-greet pool party, from 6 to 8 p.m. Aug. 23 at White Pool in Rutland.
The event — hosted by the Rutland Regional Team of Operation: Military Kids, a University of Vermont Extension 4-H program — will include swimming, games, dinner and a back-to-school-themed raffle.
All military kids who sign up by Aug. 20 will receive a “Hero Pack”, designed to help them stay connected with their parent during the current reintegration period. The backpacks are filled by nonmilitary youth and community groups with items such as a disposable camera, photo album and a written note of appreciation.
To RSVP for this event, call Heather Fredritz at 345-8190. Anyone needing a disability-related accommodation to participate can call Stephanie Atwood at 656-0346 by Monday. For more information, visit www.facebook.com/OMKVermont.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1972, Southern Airways Flight 49 is hijacked, the crew and passengers held for ransom. The hijackers want $10 million and passage to Cuba. In 2007, in Santiago, Chile, King Juan Carlos of Spain loses patience with Hugo Chavez.