Sanders urges eligible Vt. vets to use VA health systemThe Associated Press | August 19,2013BURLINGTON - U.S. Sen. Bernard Sanders is urging Vermont veterans to see if they are eligible for health care from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Sanders, who is chairman of the Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs, says there have been great improvements in the system in recent years, both in Vermont and nationally.
The VA system in Vermont has the capacity to serve more eligible veterans across the state and parts of New Hampshire.
Sanders spoke Monday at his Burlington office.
The VA now serves about 8,600 veterans at clinics in Colchester, Brattleboro, Rutland, Bennington and Newport.MORE IN This Just InThe nephew of the mayor of Rutland City has pleaded guilty to conspiring to distribute heroin. Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No money this year for western rail project, Lola Aiken memorialized in Montpelier, Supreme Court Castleton murder suspect will remain in jail, Shaftbury man fires shots from his AK-47 into neighbor's home.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1959, Soviet Premier Nikita S. Khrushchev arrives in U.S. for historic 13-day visit; in 1987, Secretary of State George Shultz and Soviet Foreign Minister Eduard Shevardnadze sign nuclear reduction agreement.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: City celebrates completion of its newest mural, on West Street opposite the post office, more than $2 million in federal grants will bolster Vermont's health centers, Patrick McArdle reports on pending sale of Vermont papers.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Henry Hudson sails up the Hudson River as far as present-day Albany, Leo Szilard has epiphany waiting for the light to change, 3 kids report a West Virginia close encounter in 1952.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Who will run for mayor in Rutland next year? Has Bennington overcome its fear of twerking? Documentary 'Hungry Heart' packs the Paramount, and the city's Creek Path scores another million-plus dollars.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: The 1509 'Lesser Judgment' earthquake on this day at Constantinople kills 13,000 and destroys the city; in 1801, on this day, Marie Laveau, the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans is born.