Vt. Natural Resources Council opposes F-35 proposalThe Associated Press | August 22,2013BURLINGTON - The Vermont Natural Resources Council says a proposal to base F-35 fighter jets at the Burlington International Airport will endanger housing and community growth.
The council has sent a letter to Burlington's mayor and City Council opposing the plan.
It says the supply of homes would diminish in the area if residents had to be relocated due to increased noise or safety concerns. It also says basing the F-35s at the airport would create less affordable housing.
The Air Force has identified the Vermont Air National Guard installation at the Burlington International Airport as the preferred candidate for up to 24 of the aircraft and is expected to make a final decision on the matter later this fall.MORE IN This Just InStaff Report Full StoryBy Brent Curtis Full StoryBy Erin Mansfield Full Story
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.