Vt. town sues owner of failed energy companyThe Associated Press | August 22,2013BRATTLEBORO - The town of Brattleboro has sued the founder of a now-bankrupt company that tried to develop a sustainable food, energy and algae system, seeking money he borrowed from the town.
The town says Donald McCormick borrowed $40,000 to set up Carbon Harvest. The goal was to use methane gas from the Windham Solid Waste Management District to power a closed loop system that would produce food in greenhouses.
McCormick launched his project in 2010; investors later took over, saying he had run out of cash. Carbon filed for bankruptcy protection in April.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported that the town is asking McCormick to repay about $14,000 plus interest, along with court and legal fees. McCormick asked to relieved from the debt and said he was considering personal bankruptcy.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: America's feet getting bigger than ever, and Americans keep jamming their feet into small sized shoes. Wake up, America!
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Vanessa Williams resigns from Miss America pageant after Bob Guccione publishes nude photos of her in Penthouse magazine and Hefner takes the high road; on this day in 1995, Alan Hale and Thomas Bopp discover a new comet.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Brandon voters decide fate of proposed budget, calls to police for service on complaints have fallen to new low, city woman who spray painted a response to vandals on her sidewalk is cited for mischief.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: When all the big mammals are rubbed out and a faint geologic memory, rats the size of human beings will stalk the Earth.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: National survey ranks Vermont kids' well-being in second place, Springfield takes up anti-loitering ordinance, Rutland debate taxis, Fair Haven woman is arrested in Rutland for prostitution.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather and news: Research scientists say schizophrenia and marijuana use linked. Are marijuana smokers schizophrenic or are schizophrenics more disposed toward marijuana use?