Vt. town sues owner of failed energy companyThe Associated Press | August 22,2013BRATTLEBORO - The town of Brattleboro has sued the founder of a now-bankrupt company that tried to develop a sustainable food, energy and algae system, seeking money he borrowed from the town.
The town says Donald McCormick borrowed $40,000 to set up Carbon Harvest. The goal was to use methane gas from the Windham Solid Waste Management District to power a closed loop system that would produce food in greenhouses.
McCormick launched his project in 2010; investors later took over, saying he had run out of cash. Carbon filed for bankruptcy protection in April.
The Brattleboro Reformer reported that the town is asking McCormick to repay about $14,000 plus interest, along with court and legal fees. McCormick asked to relieved from the debt and said he was considering personal bankruptcy.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: In 1944, U.S. begins B-29 bombing raids on Japanese main islands; in 1950, Great Appalachian Storm begins to form; 1963, Lee Oswald killed by Jack Ruby; 1974, D.B. Cooper hijacks Seattle-bound airliner; 1974, 'Lucy' found.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, striking Colo. miners attacked with machine guns by state police; 1877, Thomas Edison announces invention of the phonograph, 1959, Alan Freed fired by WABC 770 AM for accepting payola to promote records.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivers short speech in Gettysburg, Pa.; in 1984, a Pemex LNG facility destroyed by series of gas explosions, 600 people are killed; in 1998, Senate builds fire under Bill Clinton.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1831 – Independent South American super-state, Gran Colombia, dissolved; 1856 - Fort Buchanan built to control Apache warriors; 1970 - William Calley Jr. goes on trial after 1968 massacre at My Lai, Vietnam.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: Wisconsin Sen. Joe McCarthy takes advantage of Cold War jitters and builds a tidy little fiefdom for himself on Capitol Hill. It's all good, but pride goes before you know darn well what. The junior senator is damaged going down.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1927, Leon Trotsky is expelled from the Soviet Communist Party, leaving Joseph Stalin in control of the Soviet Union; in 1970, Oregon DOT tries to dynamite a dead whale off a beach with a rather shocking result.