Lawsuit filed in worker fall deathThe Associated Press | August 22,2013NORTH HAVERHIL - A lawsuit has been filed against Dartmouth College and several contractors on behalf of a construction worker who died in a fall last year while helping to renovate the Hanover Inn.
The Grafton Superior Court lawsuit alleges the defendants showed gross indifference for industry safety standards. Fifty-three-year-old Dana Lowe of Morrisville, Vt., died after he was knocked off a hydraulic lift by a weight attached to a crane cable and fell into a pile of steel beams.
The Valley News reported that the lawsuit says the crane operator wasn't able to see the area in which the crane was swinging. It says Dartmouth was aware of the danger and could've prevented the operator from working blindly if it had been set up in a different location.
Dartmouth declined to comment.MORE IN This Just In
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1932, President Hoover orders the Army to evict bonus marchers from Anacostia Flats; author Malcolm Lowry born this day, as is Jackie Kennedy and Mike Bloomfield; Stephen Crane on consuming one's own heart.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Earth barely avoids being blasted by immense solar flare in 2012, astrophysicists say next time might not be so lucky.
- RICHARD'S POOR ALMANACK: On this day in 1898, Nelson Miles leads American troops into Puerto Rico during Spanish-American War, Bob Dylan electrifies Newport Folk Festival in 1965, author and longshoreman Eric Hoffer born this day in 1902.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: No charges to be filed inconnection with crash of city police cruiser, farmers group turn to Internet to raise money for solar project, Street Talk polls passersby about legal marijuana.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information for Friday, July 25, and easily digestible news tidbits: Mysterious enormous hole in the Siberian tundra baffles scientists.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits: Ever wonder why the otherwise straight-lined Appalachian chain's got a big crimp in it in Pennsylvania and and New York?