Poker tournament benefits cheerleadersAugust 22,2013Poker tournament
NORTH CLARENDON — Residents are invited to try their luck for a good cause in a poker tournament at 7 p.m. Friday at the North Clarendon Grange.
The Texas Hold ’em tournament will raise money for five members of Mill River Union High School’s cheerleading team — Mal Allen, Annie Cotrupi, Kassidi Goodell, Brianna Howard and Hannah Turgeon — to travel to New York City and participate in Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
The tournament will also help pay for cheerleader Torri Hixon to travel with the Universal Cheerleaders Association’s All-American Cheerleading Squad to participate in the 2014 London New Year’s Day Parade, the largest of its kind in Europe.
A $60 buy-in earns 2,000 chips, with additional buys available within the first hour. Free food and a 50/50 raffle are available.
- Most Popular
- Most Emailed
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: First televised nuclear test, Woody Harrelson's father claimed involvement in the JFK assassination, Immanuel Kant and William L. Shirer rave on and MIT researchers propose sea-borne nuclear power stations.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Accused child killer released on bail, protesters want him back behind bars, aldermen meet to vote on mayor's board nomination, 156 Vermont runners participate in Monday's Boston Marathon.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Soil beneath Greenland ice sheet predates dawn of mankind, Hitch faces true Hollawood problem head-on, Mark Twain on school boards, all in today's minute.
- TOMORROW'S HEADLINES TODAY: Rutland Free Library director Paula Baker will retire at the end of the year, state Senate will vote on new minimum wage legislation and Bennington College graduates win Pulitzer Prizes.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Rutland Herald content editor Rich Alcott shares local weather information and easily digestible news tidbits.
- TODAY'S WEATHER MINUTE: Dresden firebombing helped bring Nazis to knees, killed at least 25,000 civilians, men, women, children, dogs, cats; Veena in Sitka, BIG NEWS FLASH! Old guys get grumpy with age.